Monday, October 31, 2005

The Square has Rounded Edges

It is with joy and happiness that I report the birth of my son. He is a very happy and healthy baby and he joins my wife and my daughter to make us a family of four.

Fatherhood is a true blessing in life. As I started my journey into fatherhood later than many (I was 37 when my daughter was born), I have often thought about how I should grow and prepare to be the best father I can be for my children. With these thoughts also grows a saddness in that I can feel myself age and it brings into a sharper focus the shortness of our time here. I so wish to be healthy to stay with them as long as is possible. I am seriously contemplating reforming my life to one of greater emphasis on health. I am seriously striving to quit my two pipe a day habit, I do not drink any appreciable amount currently, but am contemplating having one glass of red wine before bed for its health benefits. I am thinking I should return back to active running/jogging and start training for the various 10K races like I did in my 20s. I am thinking of eating a more restrictive diet especially in terms of fats [My family's diet is good currently, for we are vegetarian probably 20 out of 21 meals a week and we emphasize whole foods, but there is room for improvement].

Perhaps if I can make the above my new life vision, I can increase how long I can stay with my beloved family.

Konrad

2 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new arrival! I can see why such an event would make you think about your long-term health, etc. but I would say this; everything we do, every day, is a calculated risk of some sort. From the moment we get out of bed until we return to it at night, there are possible risks in everything we do. Minimising them is sensible, but at the same time, one has to enjoy life too. So, smoke a pipe - but not all the time. Enjoy some wine - sometimes. Even with food; I'm a strict vegetarian who also avoids dairy produce, but sometimes I like to cut loose and eat cheese and cream, just as I occasionally drink some whisky, or sometimes smoke my pipe.

It's easy to throw out the baby with the bathwater is what I think I'm saying :)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Konrad said...

Thank you for your comment, Intolerator. I agree with your perspective in theory. I still am unsure of what route I will take, however. In my inner soul, I am not sure of my destiny.

-K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home